Once the surgery gets over. Start getting back to your normal life. That’s the best thing you do for your recovery.
- Eating the correct foods after surgery can help to recover more significantly and minimize the internal pain, helps you boost energy in you.
- Certain foods can also minimize the side effects caused by antibiotics taken post-surgery. It gives the energy to get back to your normal routine.
- It is normal to have light nausea or vomiting after surgery. If you have nausea, start with clean liquids and light meals such as toast, rice or noodles. After nausea, you can take a normal diet. Avoid foods that are inconvenient to you.
- Do not take alcoholic beverages until after 24 hours of surgery or until you are taking medication prescribed in the prescription.
- To avoid constipation, eat cereals with fruits, vegetables, and peels and drink at least 6-8 glasses of water daily.
Best foods to eat after surgery
The foods that are rich in protein must be taken, especially if you have incisions to repair. Try to take 15-25 gm of protein in your daily diet or as per the consultant direction.
2. Fermented Dairy
Dairy products like yogurt should be added after surgery as it helps regaining the bacteria which helps in digesting your food and intaking vitamins out of the food. As antibiotics prescribed post-surgery kills bacteria including beneficial bacteria.
Add fruits like plums, which are abundant source of soluble as well as insoluble fiber. Fiber plays an important role in recovering post surgery. It helps your body in bringing normal routine.
4. Deeply Colored Fruits
Antioxidant present in fruits helps body to eliminate harmful molecules. The usage of high dose drugs while surgery reduces the immunity power of your body. Boost your antioxidant intake after surgery by eating deeply colored fruits like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, and pomegranates.
5. Orange Fruits & Veggies
For the fast repair and maintenance of soft tissue and skin, Vitamin A requires. Consume sweet potato which helps repairing body tissue and get out of the surgery effect.
Other excellent sources of beta-carotene include carrots, dark leafy greens like kale, cantaloupe, mango and dried apricots.
6. Bell Peppers & Citrus Fruit
Vitamin C is recommended for every normal and deep surgery, as it boosts the power of consuming more different vitamins and minerals out of the food that we intake post surgery. So 900 mg a day is strongly recommended to increase the healing process.
Excellent sources of vitamin C include guava, kale, citrus fruit, kiwi fruit, bell pepper, and broccoli.
Statutory Warning : It is advised to consult your doctor before intaking any of the advised food on this website.
7. Cruciferous Vegetables
Vegetables that contain indoles, phytonutrients that boost immune health, include cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage.
8. Fungi – Mushrooms
Mushrooms also support a healthy immune system, include Maitakes and Reishi, types of mushroom. Try Mushroom Soup after surgery.
9. Nuts & Seeds
Our body needs Zinc for proper cell formation and also boosts immune system. Pumpkin, squash and sesame seeds are an excellent source of zinc. Red meats especially beef, lamb and liver have some of the highest concentrations of zinc in food.
10. Pineapple & Papaya
Pineapple and papaya contain protease enzymes that the body uses to break down and digest proteins. These enzymes also help reduce swelling and inflammation.
Please consult the doctor or surgeon before including any of the above-referred food. Please write in the comment box, if you like this article.